Sunday, March 16, 2014

Circus Escape by Lilliana Rose

Rating: ★  ☆ ☆ ☆
Obtained from: Netgalley
Read: March 15, 2014

Nessie dreams of escaping her sheltered life to become a mechanical engineer with mechas. But wanting and doing are two very different things, and outer confidence hides inner fears—until she meets Joy. Joy is tough and self-reliant, used to be looking out for no one but herself. As her job keeps her always on the move, keeping to herself is the best way to survive. The very last person she expects to break her solitude is the prim and proper Nessie.

════════════════════════════ ❧  ════════════════════════════

I love steampunk. A carryover from my days spent reading naught but fantasy and science fiction, I think a wonderfully fun genre and adore how different author interpret the industrial clockwork elements that characterize the genre which is what led me to pick up Lilliana Rose's Circus Escape.

To be blunt, the novella has three major issues. One, the mechanical elements are cheesy and crudely described. Two, there is absolutely no chemistry between Rose's leads. And three, the plot is rushed and poorly presented with key elements literally materializing out of nowhere. 

At only thirty-nine pages I can't say it wasted much of my time, but I've seen authors do a lot with novellas and was disappointed at finding so little between these pages. 

════════════════════════════ ❧  ════════════════════════════
Normally, she would think about what to do nest and how lons it would take, but not today. It was time to do things diffferently.
════════════════════════════ ❧  ════════════════════════════

2 comments:

westmetromommy said...

I looked at the title of this book and was so excited, and then I read your review. Thank you for saving me from an unsatisfying read!

Anonymous said...

Glad to help!