Thursday, March 23, 2017

Boy of My Heart by Marie Leighton

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Obtained from: Open Library
Read: August 10, 2016

A mother's remembrances of the son she lost in WWI. Published anonymously, Boy of My Heart was penned by prolific romance novelist Marie Connor Leighton after the death of her son Roland Leighton, the British poet and soldier portrayed in Vera Brittan's best seller Testament of Youth.

═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════

Roland Leighton
My taste in movies mirrors my taste in literature so it should come as no surprise that when I manage to catch a film, it's inevitably a period piece. In this case, the film was Testament of Youth and since I couldn't get my hands on a copy of Vera Brittain's memoir, I settled for Boy of My Heart by Marie Leighton.

Written after the death of Leighton's beloved son, the book is an intensely sentimental tribute that can only be described as over-the-top. The style and tone are in keeping with the trends of the day, but to modern eyes the verbiage is excessively flowery and overdone. I understand the emotion behind it, but I personally had trouble staying engaged in the text.

I wouldn't say the book much genuine detail about Roland, but it does offer interesting insight to his mother and the grief experienced by a generation of parents who watched the war take their children before their time.

═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════
"But is he wholly mine? Is there there somebody else who wants him even though he is hardly more than a boy? There floats before my eyes the vision of a girl: a small, delicate-faced creature with amethystine eyes, who is dreaming dreams that have got him for their centre. What a forcing power for sex this war has been, and is!"
═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...